DOUGHERTY, TX (FLOYD COUNTY)
DOUGHERTY, TEXAS (Floyd County). Dougherty, on the Fort Worth and Denver Railway and Farm Road 28 in southeastern Floyd County, was established in 1928 and named for Francis M. Dougherty. Grace Garner was the first postmistress, and a school was built in 1929. For a time Dougherty prospered, but when U.S. Highway 62/70 bypassed the town by three miles, the community faltered. In 1948 Dougherty had a church, a post office, three businesses, and 150 people. Conditions remained similar in 1980, when the town had 135 people, a school, a post office, and four businesses. The population was 100 in 1990 and 109 in 2000.
Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "DOUGHERTY, TX (FLOYD COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld34), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.