DOUGLASSVILLE, TEXAS. Douglassville is at the junction of State highways 8 and 77, 12½ miles north of Linden in northern Cass County. The site was settled in the early 1850s and named for John Douglass, an early resident. Most of the early settlers came from Georgia and Alabama, and many established plantations along the Red River. A Douglassville post office was established in 1854 and continued to operate in 1990. After the Civil War the town continued as a supply point and market for area farmers. In 1884 it had two churches, a district school, two gristmills, two cotton gins, and a population estimated at 150. In 1900 the population was 176. The community was incorporated in the 1950s. In 1980 it had four rated businesses and a population of 228. In 1990 the population was 192 and in 2000 it was 175.
Atlanta (Texas) Citizens Journal, 60th Anniversary Edition (1939).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DOUGLASSVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld35), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.