DRISCOLL, TEXAS. Driscoll, at the junction of U.S. Highway 77 and Farm Road 665, twenty-two miles southwest of Corpus Christi in south central Nueces County, was established in 1904, when the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway built south from Robstown and located a station on ranchland belonging to Robert Driscoll, Jr. Driscoll named the site after himself, although there was already a town in the county bearing that name; the older town's name was changed to Alfred. By 1920 the new Driscoll had a population of 500; the population was 669 in 1960 and 626 in 1970. The town was incorporated in the early 1950s and had six businesses in 1970. In 1990 Driscoll reported 688 residents and four businesses. By 2000 the population had grown to 825 with twenty-five businesses.
Nueces County Historical Society, History of Nueces County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cyrus Tilloson, "DRISCOLL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hld37), accessed March 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.