GIVENS, TEXAS. Givens, on Farm Road 195 some four miles northeast of Paris in Lamar County, was established in 1891 and was named by a local merchant, Asbury Whitten, for his father-in-law, Joseph Givens, an early settler in the region. In 1892 the town included a post office and a general store owned and run by M. L. Russell. The community's post office was closed in 1905. In the 1940s the town had a factory, several other businesses, a church, and a cemetery. In 1990 its population was reported as 135, and its residents traded in Paris. The population remained the same in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John M. Santry, "GIVENS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlg19), accessed October 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.