GRESHAM, TEXAS. Gresham is at the intersection of Farm roads 2493 and 2813, just north of Flint, six miles south of Tyler, and west of Henshaw Creek in southwestern Smith County. The community was established as a shipping point on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway in 1877. In the early 1900s L. T. Smith operated the local cotton gin. Gresham had a population of twenty in 1910. On October 20, 1912, local residents organized the Gresham Baptist Church. During the 1930s the community had six or seven businesses, and by 1947 it reported 100 residents and four businesses. Local children attended school in the Flint Independent School District in 1952, but by 1969 the district had been consolidated into the Bullard Independent School District. In 1973 the community had the Baptist church, a business, and a scattered collection of farms. In the 1980s the community had a store, a dog kennel, and two hair salons. Though the community still reported a population of 100 in 2000, new housing additions were being built and the community contained a Dairy Queen, a feed store, a restaurant-bar, and a florist in 2004.
"School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "GRESHAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlg35), accessed December 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.