GUERRA, TEXAS. Guerra, on Ranch Road 649 forty-five miles south of Hebbronville in southwestern Jim Hogg County, had no permanent settlement until the early 1900s, when landowner A. Guerra established the community. Early Mexican settlers called the town El Colorado, because of the red sandy soil found in the area. The Guerra post office, which was still in service in 1990, was founded in 1906, with Don Apolonia Guerra as postmaster. It was reportedly moved to the community from the ranch San Antonio Viejo. In 1914 Guerra had a population of 100 and sixteen businesses, including a general store, a blacksmith, a railroad agent, and a number of livestock establishments. The community reported a population of fifty from 1920 to the mid-1960s and seventy-five in 1968. In 1990 Guerra still reported a population of seventy-five and served as a retail point for nearby cattle ranchers.
Hebbronville Chamber of Commerce, Fiftieth Anniversary, Jim Hogg County (Hebbronville, Texas, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Justin Lee Elmore, "GUERRA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlg38), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.