HARGILL, TEXAS. Hargill is on Farm roads 490 and 493 twenty-four miles northeast of McAllen in eastern Hidalgo County. It was developed and named by W. A. Harding and Lamar Gill during the early 1900s. A post office was in operation in Hargill in 1924, and in 1926 a railroad station was established there on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. By 1930 Hargill had ten stores, a school, three churches, and an estimated population of 400. In 1947 it had a population of 450 and nine stores. In 1963 the community had three churches, one school, multiple dwellings, and a population of 100. The population had increased to 1,349 by 1990 and remained the same in 2000. .
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "HARGILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh23), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.