HERTY, TEXAS. Herty is at the junction of State Highway 103 and a gravel road numbered 842, three miles east of Lufkin in north central Angelina County. It is the site of Southland Paper Mills, one of Lufkin's most important industries, and was named for Charles Holmes Herty of Georgia, the wood chemist who developed the process of using southern pine to make newsprint. The town grew up after Southland Paper was established next to the Angelina and Neches River Railroad in 1940. At first most of the residents worked at the paper mill. The town had a population of 1,400 in 1960 and 605 from 1970 through 2000. Herty Elementary School is part of the Lufkin Independent School District. The Southland Paper Mill was owned in 1986 by St. Regis Paper Company.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "HERTY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh40), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.