HUCKABAY, TEXAS. Huckabay is at the intersection of State Highway 108 and Farm Road 219, ten miles north of Stephenville in northern Erath County. In 1875 it was called Flat Woods by its founders, John A. Huckabay, John Copeland, George Gresham, and others. In the late 1870s G. W. Glenn opened a store, and the town received a post office named for its first postmaster, John A. Huckabay. The community also received a gin. The West Texas State Bank opened there in 1890 but soon closed. During the 1890s Huckabay had several stores and other businesses. By 1900 its population had reached 174, and from 1900 to 1910 the Huckabay Academy was in operation. State Highway 108 was built through the town in 1927. In 1930 five schools were consolidated into the Huckabay district. The population of Huckabay was reported as 150 in 1970 and 1990. The population of Huckabay was reported as 150 in 1970 through 2000.
Vallie Eoff, A History of Erath County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HUCKABAY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh54), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.