HUFSMITH, TEXAS. Hufsmith, on Farm Road 2978 and the International-Great Northern railroad north of Tomball in extreme northern Harris County, was founded in 1872 as a station stop midway on the line from Spring to Navasota. It was named for Frank Huffsmith, a railroad superintendent. Local farmers grew cotton and potato crops. Early residents were blacks who came after the Civil War, among them Anderson King, a former slave who gave land for a school. In 1905 the school had fifty black students and one teacher. A Hufsmith post office operated from 1902 until the 1980s. In 1914 Hufsmith had a population of 150, four general stores, and a cotton gin. In 1936 the community had two churches, a school, and a sawmill. In 1940 the population was 250. In 1963 the community had a tavern, a liquor store, a laundry, a cafe, and two gas stations; by the 1980s only a cemetery, an abandoned railroad station, and scattered dwellings remained, but the population of the community was still reported at 250 in 2000.
The Heritage of North Harris County (n.p: North Harris County Branch, American Association of University Women, 1977). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "HUFSMITH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh55), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.