HIGGINBOTHAM, TEXAS. Higginbotham is on Farm Road 1755 near the New Mexico border in northwest Gaines County. The town was originally the headquarters of the Higginbotham Ranch, purchased by the brothers R. W. and J. M. Higginbotham in the early 1900s. In 1914 the brothers also founded a prominent business, the Higginbotham-Bartlett Company, located in Seagraves. Higginbotham first appeared on county maps in the 1960s and reported a population of 150 in 1964. Students could attend either Armstrong or Jones schools. Higginbotham maintained a population of 210 from the 1970s to 1990.
Gaines County Historical Survey Committee, The Gaines County Story, ed. Margaret Coward (Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "HIGGINBOTHAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh63), accessed April 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.