HACKBERRY, TX (DENTON COUNTY)
HACKBERRY, TEXAS (Denton County). Hackberry is located off Farm Road 423 and near Lewisville Lake about fourteen miles southeast of Denton in eastern Denton County. Settlement in this area had occurred by the latter half of the 1800s, and a school known as Hackberry School operated from 1876 until 1927, when it consolidated with nearby Little Elm School District. In the 1980s a town called Hackberry was established in this area, and citizens incorporated by 1984 with an estimated population of ninety-nine. Population figures have increased steadily from 200 in 1990 to 544 in 2000.
Hollace Hervey, Historic Denton County: An Illustrated History (San Antonio: Denton County Historical Museum, 2002).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "HACKBERRY, TX (DENTON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlh69), accessed March 15, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.