JOHNTOWN, TEXAS. Johntown is four miles southeast of Bogata in southwestern Red River County. It reportedly received its name because so many of its residents were named John. A post office was established there in 1900, and in 1913 the town became a station on the Paris and Mount Pleasant Railway. Its population was reported as seventy-five in 1910, fifteen by 1933, and fifty in 1940. The population was an estimated 200 by 1949, when the community reported five rated businesses. The railroad was abandoned in 1959, and the post office was closed shortly thereafter. In the late 1960s and 1990 Johntown reported an estimated population of 175. From the late 1960s through 2000 Johntown reported an estimated population of 175.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "JOHNTOWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlj07), accessed December 11, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.