JOLLYVILLE, TEXAS. Jollyville is on Rattan Creek and U.S. Highway 183 eighteen miles north of Austin in southwestern Williamson County. It was founded in 1866 and named for John Grey Jolly, who set up a blacksmith shop and a store and provided land for an early school. In 1878 residents built a school that enrolled thirty-five pupils in 1903. In 1940 the community had forty inhabitants and two businesses. From 1949 to the 1960s Jollyville reported a population of 150. In 1990 its population was 15,206, and the town had expanded into Travis County. The population was 15,813 in 2000.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "JOLLYVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlj10), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.