KIRVIN, TEXAS. Kirvin is at the junction of Farm roads 80 and 1449, eight miles southeast of Wortham in northwest Freestone County. It was established about 1906, after the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway had built through the area the year before, and named for Judge O. C. Kirvin, who donated the land for the railroad. A school was established in 1906. A mercantile store and Methodist church opened, and after the town was laid out two cotton gins, three cottonseed houses, two gristmills, and a cotton warehouse were built. A post office was established in 1907 with George B. Everett as postmaster. The town was incorporated in 1911, when it had three weekly newspapers and a Woodman of the World Lodge with over 125 members. By 1914 Kirvin had a population estimated at 800, eleven businesses, and a bank. A new school was also built that year. The population had dropped to 288 in 1925. In 1949 the school was consolidated with the Wortham schools. By 1968 only two churches, two businesses, and a population of seventy-five remained in Kirvin. In 1990 the population was 107. In 2000 the population was 122.
Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "KIRVIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlk09), accessed March 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.