KNOTT, TEXAS. Knott is at the intersection of Farm roads 2230 and 846, a mile east of West Knott in northwestern Howard County. Both communities were named for pioneer rancher and farmer Calvin Stevenson Knott, who shipped cattle from a railroad siding in the area. In 1928 the Knott community had a population of 200, a figure which evidently included the residents of West Knott; later censuses combine the two. By 1931 the settlement had a post office. The community's population was 350 in 1947 and 685 from 1969 to 2000. The area was once a leading producer of watermelons for the Fort Worth market and has long been a prime region for grain crops.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "KNOTT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlk12), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.