LAIRD HILL, TX
LAIRD HILL, TEXAS. Laird Hill is on State Highway 42 just southwest of Kilgore near the northern boundary of Rusk County. It was named for the prominent S. S. Laird family. At one time during the East Texas oil boom Laird Hill was called Pistol Hill. In 1936 the community's first postmaster, Ignatius S. Cutcher, was appointed. The 1940 census lists Laird Hill as a suburb of Kilgore in Gregg County with a population of 500 and eight businesses. In 1970 the community's population was 461, with some four businesses. In 1980 and 1990 the population was 405, and there was one business reported. By 2000 the population remained at 405 with five businesses.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "LAIRD HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll09), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.