LINGLEVILLE, TEXAS. Lingleville is on Farm Road 8 ten miles west of Stephenville in west central Erath County. In 1884 R. P. Campbell opened a grocery store in his house in the hollow below what is now the townsite. Before a post office was established there, the community was called Needmore. It was renamed to honor John Lingle, who had settled there in 1874. In 1940 the town had the post office, four businesses, and 200 residents. In 1980 through 2000 its population was reported as 100.
Vallie Eoff, A History of Erath County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LINGLEVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll45), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.