LINN, TEXAS. Linn is off U.S. Highway 281 thirty miles northeast of McAllen in north central Hidalgo County. The community was established in 1927 as a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad and was named for Linn A. Dougherty, son of land developer William M. Dougherty. A post office opened there in 1928, and by 1930 the new town had two stores and a population of twenty. By 1936 Linn still had a population of twenty, as well as a church, a school, and two stores. In 1947 it comprised a school, six businesses, and a population of 150. Linn reported a population of 450 and no businesses in 1990. By 2000 the population was 958 with fourteen businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "LINN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll46), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.