LIVERPOOL, TEXAS. Liverpool, an incorporated community fourteen miles from Angleton on the Missouri Pacific line in Brazoria County, began as a trading post around 1827. It was settled in 1834 and had a local schoolteacher by 1836. The town was officially founded in 1837 as a Chocolate Bayou shipping point for wool, hides, and produce from the Stephen F. Austin colony. It was named for the English port by a man known as Commodore Nelson. A post office was established in 1846 and discontinued in 1867, but it reopened in 1879 and was still in operation in the early 1990s. The early community peaked after the Civil War, but its population was only twenty in 1884 and 136 in 1890. By 1906 four local white schools had three teachers and forty-eight pupils. In 1914 Liverpool had two general stores, a hotel, and a population of 400. The population dwindled by the 1920s but began to rise again in 1966, growing from 150 to 627 by 1988, probably because of the construction of a nearby Monsanto plant. In 1990 the population of Liverpool was reported as 396. The population was 404 in 2000.
Brazoria County Federation of Women's Clubs, History of Brazoria County (1940). James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "LIVERPOOL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll50), accessed March 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.