LOZANO, TEXAS. Lozano is on Farm Road 2925 four miles northeast of San Benito in north central Cameron County. It originated as a vegetable and citrus producing community, with some of its population consisting of transient laborers. Around 1927 Lozano became a siding on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, when a line was built through the area from Edinburg to Brownsville. In 1939 the town reported two businesses and a population of forty. A post office was opened there in 1948, and in 1949 Lozano had a population of 200, with ten businesses. In 1956 it still had 200 residents, as well as eight businesses and a church. Lozano by 1986 also had a colonia, which had 120 homes and 540 residents, who received water from the East Rio Hondo Water Supply Company. In 1990 the population of Lozano was still reported as 200, and the town had a church. The population grew to 324 by 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "LOZANO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll71), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.