LUTHER, TEXAS. Luther, on Farm Road 846 in north central Howard County, was named for its first postmaster, Luther F. Lawrence. The town's post office dates from 1909. Between 1936 and 1947 the population grew from five to ninety and the number of businesses from one to three. By 1966 the population had risen to 335. In 1980 Luther had lost its post office, but the population remained steady at 335 in 1990 and 2000. One of Howard County's oilfields, the Luther Southeast, is located near the town.
Big Spring Daily Herald, July 18, 1954.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "LUTHER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll74), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.