LAGO, TEXAS. Lago is located on Farm Road 1577 about nine miles southeast of Harlingen and fifteen miles northwest of Brownsville in south central Cameron County. This residential community probably began in the 1970s and was shown on highway maps by 1980. It consists of primarily Hispanic, lower-income families. The first population figures were recorded in the 2000 census when Lago reported 246 residents. It is part of the San Benito Independent School District.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "LAGO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hll94), accessed February 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.