MACUNE, TEXAS. Macune is at the intersection of State Highway 147 and Farm Road 705, nine miles south of San Augustine in central San Augustine County. It was granted a post office in 1888 and may have derived its name from Charles W. Macune, president of the Farmers' Alliance at that time. In 1890 Macune had a population of seventy-five, a Farmers' Alliance general store, one other general store, a hotel, and a Methodist church. The town had a population of fifty in 1925, and its post office closed sometime in the 1930s. In 1940 Macune comprised three businesses, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. By 1960 its population had climbed to 167, though it declined to 100 by the 1970s. In the 1980s Macune had a number of dwellings, a cemetery, and a business, and its population was still estimated at 100 in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "MACUNE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm22), accessed May 25, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.