MAPLE, TX (BAILEY COUNTY)
MAPLE, TEXAS (Bailey County). Maple, on Farm Road 596 in southern Bailey County, was named for Maple Wilson, an early settler. It was established after local ranches were subdivided for farms; its post office opened in 1926. In 1940 Maple had six businesses, a school, and 600 residents. By 1980 its population had declined to 130, but the town still retained its post office and several businesses. In 1990 the population was still reported as 130. The population dropped to seventy-five in 2000.
LaVonne McKillip, ed., Early Bailey County History (Muleshoe, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MAPLE, TX (BAILEY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm25), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.