MARIETTA, TEXAS. Marietta, at the junction of Farm roads 1399 and 250, fifteen miles northwest of Linden in northwestern Cass County, was originally called Oak Ridge. A post office opened there in April 1880, and the name was changed to honor the wife of Newt Wommack, an early settler. By 1884 the town had saw and grist mills, two churches, at least two gins, and a population of 100. By 1890 the population had reached 200. In 1917 the Jefferson and Northwestern Railroad completed a line through Marietta from Jefferson to Naples, but the line was abandoned in 1933. Early population estimates vary from 600 in 1892 to 124 in 1925. The population rose from 250 in 1939 to 600 in 1943 but declined after that. Marietta was incorporated in the 1970s and had a population of 169 in 1980. There were two rated businesses in 1986. In 1990 the population was 161. The population dropped to 112 by 2000.
Atlanta (Texas) Citizens Journal, 60th Anniversary ed., 1939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "MARIETTA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm27), accessed November 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.