MORAN, TEXAS. Moran, on State Highway 6 and the intersection of Farm roads 576 and 2408, in southeastern Shackelford County, was established in 1882, when the Texas Central Railroad was constructed through the area. C. B. Snyder was the first settler in the vicinity. Originally the town was named Hulltown after its first merchant, Swope Hull. The name was changed to Hicks in 1891 and to Moran in 1892, for railroad president John J. Moran. The Moran community was a shipping center for local farmers and ranchers until rail service was terminated in 1969. It became an oilfield service center after the discovery of natural gas in 1910. The population of Moran was estimated at 231 in 1900, 710 in 1940, 610 in 1950, 392 in 1960, 335 in 1970, and 344 in 1980. During the mid-1980s Moran had several schools, three churches, and two grain elevators. Its population was 285 in 1990. In 2000 the population was 233.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MORAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm85), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.