MORGAN MILL, TX
MORGAN MILL, TEXAS. Morgan Mill, on the North Paluxy River at the junction of U.S. Highway 281 and Farm roads 1189 and 1715 in northeastern Erath County, was the site of a corn and wheat mill moved there in 1874 by M. C. Laughlin and J. R. Billingsley. Criss Brooks started the first store in 1876. In 1877 George Morgan, for whom the community was named, bought an interest in the mill, and that year a post office was established. The name was changed from Morgan's Mill to Morgan Mill in 1892. The town was a small trading center in the early decades of the twentieth century. Its population was reported as 143 in 1900, 261 in 1940, and 206 in 1980 and 1990. During the latter period the community drew retirees and some residents who commuted to the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
Vallie Eoff, A History of Erath County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "MORGAN MILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlm87), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.