NURSERY, TX (VICTORIA COUNTY)
NURSERY, TEXAS (Victoria County). Nursery, on U.S. Highway 87 ten miles northwest of Victoria in Victoria County, is named for the fact that horticulturist Gilbert Onderdonk in 1883 established a branch of his nursery there on the San Antonio and Mexican Gulf Railway. The local sandy loam soil with clay subsoil provided an excellent laboratory and the railroad a convenient shipping point. The site was originally part of a 4,428-acre tract belonging to Silvestre De León, a son of empresario Martín De León. A post office was established at the site in 1884 with Onderdonk as postmaster. During peak shipping and processing times the population of Nursery reached perhaps a few hundred. In 1900 the community had, in addition to the train station, a doctor, a hotel, a gristmill, two gins, and a number of stores and restaurants. From 1974 to 1990 its population was estimated at 106. In 1985 the post office, a few businesses, and a seven-grade school remained at the site. By 2000 the population grew to 260.
Memorial and Genealogical Record of Southwest Texas (Chicago: Goodspeed, 1894; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). Victoria Advocate, Progress Edition, March 10, 1963.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "NURSERY, TX (VICTORIA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hln29), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.