PLEAK, TEXAS. Pleak is on State Highway 36 eight miles south of Richmond in south central Fort Bend County. The community probably developed in the 1920s as a result of activity in the nearby Pleak oilfield. The Pleak school district served some 150 pupils in 1926, and in 1940 the community consisted of a school, three businesses, and scattered dwellings. The Wilbur Krenek Cotton Gin was built in 1934 and was still being run by the Krenek family in the early 1990s. Pleak incorporated as the Village of Pleak in 1980, when it had about 365 residents; it reported a population of 746 in 1992. The population was 947 in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "PLEAK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlpyl), accessed October 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.