REALITOS, TEXAS. Realitos is on Macho Creek and the Texas-Mexican Railway twelve miles southwest of Benavides in south central Duval County. It was established on the former Santos García Spanish land grant and in 1885 was described as "a settlement, also a ranch." A post office was established there in 1886 with Charles Shaw as postmaster. By 1890 Realitos had a Methodist church, two general stores, and a population of 400. Two years later the population was an estimated 800, and the town supported two churches, a school, two saloons, a cotton gin, and a combination barber and confectioner's shop. During the 1906–07 school year fifty pupils attended the Realitos school.
The town was the local ranching headquarters for Edward C. Lasater, the bitter enemy of Duval County political boss Archer Parr. In 1913 Parr's supporters on the county commissioners' court deprived Realitos of a voting box in its contest with Benavides to choose the county seat of the proposed Pat Dunn County. Voters in Realitos would thus have had to travel to Benavides to cast their ballots. The issue was rendered moot when the legislation establishing Dunn County was ruled unconstitutional on a technicality.
The estimated population of Realitos fluctuated in subsequent years, reaching a low of 225 in 1914 and a high of 400 in the mid-1930s. From the late 1940s to the late 1980s the estimated population remained roughly 250. In 1967 the town had three churches and a school, but by 1975 the school had been consolidated with the Benavides Independent School District. Realitos was supposedly named for small camps of Mexican officers who were stationed in the area in the nineteenth century. In 2000 the population was 209.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "REALITOS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlr05), accessed September 19, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.