ROSITA, TX (STARR COUNTY)
ROSITA, TEXAS (Starr County). Rosita, seven miles west of Rio Grande City in southern Starr County, began as a small community of descendants of early Spanish colonists, probably followers of José de Escandón. The 1936 county highway map shows farm units and a school in the vicinity of the townsite. In 1933 Rosita had an estimated seventy-five residents, and in 1971 it had 215, mostly engaged in farming; the town in that year included a filling station, a grocery, and a gravel-mining operation (all still present in 1991). With the coming of the four-lane U.S. Highway 83, Rosita expanded, and by 1991 it reached Garceño on the west and had a population estimated by local sources at 1,000 (though the Texas Almanac listed only 220 residents at that time). A dozen or more stores were in the vicinity, and Rosita included the Santa Rosa de Lima Catholic Church, a large parish hall, a volunteer fire department, and a recreational-vehicle park.
Virgil N. Lott and Mercurio Martinez, The Kingdom of Zapata (San Antonio: Naylor, 1953).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "ROSITA, TX (STARR COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlr43), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.