SAGERTON, TEXAS. Sagerton is on the Santa Fe Railroad at the intersection of State Highway 283 and Farm Road 1661, in southwest Haskell County. It was established in 1905 two miles east of Stonewall County and named for W. M. Sager, the townsite donor. As a shipping point for cotton, cattle, and poultry on the newly constructed Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway, Sagerton achieved a modest prosperity. Beginning in 1909 the Stamford and Northwestern Railway also provided rail service for a time. Fires in 1917 and 1926 caused extensive property damage, and the town's bank, organized in 1908, failed in 1931. The population of Sagerton was 300 in 1940 and 115 in 1980 through 2000.
Robert E. Sherrill, Haskell County History (Haskell, Texas: Haskell Free Press, 1965).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SAGERTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls03), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.