SAMNORWOOD, TEXAS. Samnorwood, just west of U.S. Highway 83 in north central Collingsworth County, is a shipping center for an agricultural and ranching area between Elm and Dozier creeks, named for Sam W. Norwood, a county pioneer. The town was established in 1931 when the Fort Worth and Denver Northern Railway built its line from Childress to Pampa. Its formal opening, complete with a picnic and typical fanfare, was celebrated on July 4. Soon a barber shop, a cafe, a gin, a depot, and two general stores were established. A post office was granted in October 1932. By 1934 a brick high school building was completed at a cost of $25,000. The population reached 100 by 1940. In 1984, in addition to the school and post office, Samnorwood had a store, a church, and a population of about forty. In 2000 the population was reported at thirty-nine, and there was still one business in the community.
Clyde Chestnut Brown, A Survey History of Collingsworth County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Colorado, 1934). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "SAMNORWOOD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls08), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.