SAN CARLOS, TX (HIDALGO COUNTY)
SAN CARLOS, TEXAS (Hidalgo County). San Carlos is off State Highway 107 fifteen miles northeast of McAllen in southeastern Hidalgo County. It became a station on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad in 1927. From 1933 to the mid-1960s San Carlos had two stores and a population of fifty. In 1966 the population was 150, but the community had no businesses. From 1970 to 1990 the population was 100. During the 1960s a colonia developed outside of San Carlos, which by 1976 had 180 dwellings and an estimated population of 880. It had decreased to 120 dwellings and a population of 540 by 1986. The population reached 2,650 by 2000.
Colonias in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of South Texas: A Summary Report (Policy Research Project Report No. 18, Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "SAN CARLOS, TX (HIDALGO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls09), accessed December 13, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.