SIDNEY, TEXAS. Sidney, on Farm Road 1689 in western Comanche County, was settled as early as 1870 by William Yarbrough and J. A. Wright. It was formerly called Jimmie's Creek, for a nearby stream, and Round Mountain. In 1883 the community was named for Sidney Stapp, son of John Stapp, who became the first postmaster when the post office opened in 1886. The first school was established in 1877 with W. D. Cox as teacher. By 1883 Sidney had a store operated by Tom Davis. In 1940 Sidney had four stores, three churches, a consolidated school, and a population of 200. Afterward, the population remained stable at 196; three stores were reported in 1980. Through 2000 the population was still reported as 196.
Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tracey L. Compton, "SIDNEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls46), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.