SPADE, TX (LAMB COUNTY)
SPADE, TEXAS (Lamb County). Spade, on Farm roads 54 and 168, ten miles east of Littlefield in southeast Lamb County, was named for its location on the Spade Ranch. J. Frank Norfleet, ranch foreman, married and brought his wife to headquarters near the present townsite in 1894. The townsite was developed in 1924 when farmers began settling on former ranchland. A store, built in 1931 by Roy Hicks, became the nucleus of the community. A gin was also built in 1931, and a post office was secured in 1935. In 1940 Spade had two churches, six businesses, and 200 people. Businesses in 1968 included stores, gas stations, four gins, two garages, two cafes, a hardware store, and a grain elevator. Spade has its own water system. In 1980 and 1990 the town had a population of 174 and several businesses. The population dropped to 100 in 2000. The former ranch headquarters is a historic attraction.
Evalyn Parrott Scott, A History of Lamb County (Sudan, Texas: Lamb County Historical Commission, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SPADE, TX (LAMB COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls68), accessed December 06, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.