SPRINGLAKE, TEXAS. Springlake is at the intersection of U.S. highways 385 and 70, twenty-two miles north of Littlefield in north central Lamb County. The George C. Wright Land Company purchased the site from the Halsell Cattle Company in 1908, and that year Wright built a store and a hotel and established a post office. The town was named for the Spring Lake Division of the old XIT Ranch, which was nearby. The Spring Lake ranch headquarters had a post office from 1889 to 1901. In 1910 the town of Olton won the election to see which town would become county seat by one vote over Springlake. The town of Springlake moved a few miles to the southeast in 1927; a cemetery remains at its first townsite. In the 1930s a grain elevator and a flour mill were established at Springlake, and by 1950 the town's population had grown to 250. Thereafter its population slowly declined, and it was reported as 131 in the early 1990s. Springlake reported some twelve businesses at that time. In 2000 the population was 135.
Vincent Matthew Peterman, Pioneer Days: A Half-Century of Life in Lamb County and Adjacent Communities (Lubbock: Texas Tech Press, 1979). Evalyn Parrott Scott, A History of Lamb County (Sudan, Texas: Lamb County Historical Commission, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "SPRINGLAKE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls73), accessed July 12, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.