SWIFT, TEXAS. Swift, a farming community at the junction of State Highway 7 and Farm Road 2713, ten miles east of Nacogdoches in eastern Nacogdoches County, was first settled around 1838. It was named for W. H. Swift, Jr., who served as its first postmaster when a post office was established there in 1883. By 1885 the Swift community had a Baptist church, a school, a steam cotton gin and gristmill, a blacksmith shop, three general stores, and an estimated population of seventy-five. The town population increased to 125 by the 1920s. During the mid-1930s Swift had four businesses, a church, a post office, and a school. The post office was closed in 1940, and the school was closed after World War II. Most of the businesses had shut down by the late 1980s, but the population continued to be reported as 125. In the early 1990s Swift had a community center, a church, and a number of houses. The population remained at 125 in 2000.
Nacogdoches County Genealogical Society, Nacogdoches County Families (Dallas: Curtis, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SWIFT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hls95), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.