STAGECOACH, TEXAS. Stagecoach is on the heavily wooded east bank of Sulphur Creek sixteen miles southwest of Conroe in southwestern Montgomery County. The development was begun in 1958 on a nineteenth-century stagecoach route and became known as Stagecoach Farms. The area had been a farm owned by W. L. Swinley, who employed several black families as tenant farmers and at his sawmill. The new community has two small artificial lakes-Lake Apache and Lake Hardin-constructed on the lower course of Sulphur Creek, and two parks for the exclusive use of residents. A civic club was organized among local property owners in the 1960s. In 1974 the town chose its first mayor. A population of 270 was reported in 1978. When the community incorporated in 1980 it adopted the name Stagecoach. By that year 108 permanent and vacation residences had been constructed in the development. The local pine and oak woods are habitat for deer, raccoons, and opossums. The population in 1990 was 340. By 2000 the population reached 455.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "STAGECOACH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlsmy), accessed November 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.