VANDERBILT, TEXAS. Vanderbilt is on Farm Road 616 in southeastern Jackson County. In 1904 the town grew up around the new railroad station on acreage of the old Mitchell spread in the George Ewing league. A post office was built in 1907 and continued to serve in 1988. Vanderbilt is on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, and has served as a shipping and retail center for local farmers and ranchers. In 1945 the community had a population of 300 and a business section of ten stores. The population reached its zenith in 1962 at 900, then dropped by 1971 to 667, where it remained through 1990. In 1988 Vanderbilt had five businesses. In 2000 the population was 411 with thirteen businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "VANDERBILT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlv04), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.