VEALMOOR, TEXAS. Vealmoor, at the intersection of Farm roads 1584 and 1784, on the northwestern border of Howard County, was probably named for Mrs. Minnie Slaughter Veal, an early settler. The community most likely originated in 1880, when Christopher Columbus Slaughter established his ranch headquarters at German Springs, just east of the site of present Vealmoor. By 1926 Vealmoor had a post office, and Mae Zant was postmaster. The community by 1947 reported one business and twenty residents. Its population reached a high of 190 in 1966, and the number of businesses grew to four. By 1980 Vealmoor no longer had a post office, and its population had fallen to 179, with one business. Through 2000 its population was still reported as 179.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "VEALMOOR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlv06), accessed April 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.