WELLMAN, TEXAS. Wellman is on U.S. Highway 62/385 and Farm roads 213 and 303, in southwest Terry County. It originated as a shipping point on the South Plains and Santa Fe Railway in 1918 and was named for a railroad official. A four-room schoolhouse was built in 1923. In 1925 Wellman opened a post office, which was still operating in the 1980s. The first church was built in 1928 by the Church of Christ. In 1936 Wellman had a post office, four stores, and forty residents. The population was 200 in 1940 and remained steady with 239 residents in 1980 and 1990.
Terry County Historical Survey Committee, Early Settlers of Terry (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1968).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WELLMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlw18), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.