WESTON, TEXAS. Weston is at the intersection of Farm roads 543 and 455, eleven miles northwest of McKinney in north central Collin County. Attracted by the rich soils of the Blackland Prairies and the fresh water provided by Honey Creek and the East Fork of the Trinity River, settlers began arriving in the area in the early 1840s. Weston is thus one of the oldest towns in Collin County. Larkin Adamson, who arrived in 1850, built the first store and is credited with naming the community after his hometown, Weston, Missouri. In 1854 a post office was established. During the 1850s and 1860s Weston was a stop on a stage line from Sherman to Dallas. Weston was incorporated in 1887, and by 1890 the town had five general stores, a cotton gin, a gristmill, a confectioner, a shoemaker, a harnessmaker, three grocers, a druggist, a blacksmith, two churches, and a school. The population was estimated at 150. By 1896 it had risen to 400. Weston was one of the first towns in Texas to have rural free mail delivery, begun on March 15, 1900. The 1900 census reported the population of Weston as 316. It remained steady until 1968, when it was estimated at 216. In 1978 it was 209, and in 1980 it was 405. In 1990, 362 people lived in Weston. The population reached 635 in 2000.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958). Ellen Jeanene Walker, Agricultural Land Utilization in Collin County (M.A. Thesis, Southern Methodist University, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "WESTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlw25), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.