WARD CREEK, TX
WARD CREEK, TEXAS. Ward Creek (also known as Wards Creek) is located on Farm Road 561 about fourteen miles southwest of New Boston and thirty-four miles west-southwest of Texarkana in southwestern Bowie County. The community was named for nearby Ward Creek, and early settler William Ward received a patent for a headright of 1,280 acres in the area on February 10, 1846. The town probably had developed by the second half of the nineteenth century and consisted of a church, school, and farms. The oldest marked grave in Wards Creek Cemetery dates back to 1879. In the 1930s Ward Creek had two churches, a school, several businesses, a sawmill, and numerous dwellings. It remained a rural area throughout the twentieth century and recorded a population of 164 in 1990 and 2000.
Fred Tarpley, Place Names of Northeast Texas (Commerce: East Texas State University, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "WARD CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlw51), accessed February 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.