ALTAIR, TEXAS. Altair is on State Highway 90A in south central Colorado County. The community dates from the late 1880s. A post office was established there in 1888. The town was originally named Stafford's Ranch in honor of a leading local rancher. Because a Stafford, Texas, already had a post office, the name Altair, for the star, was approved by the residents in 1890. That same year Altair obtained service from a branch of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. Stafford's Ranch has sometimes been mistakenly called Spafford's Ranch. During the 1960s Altair had a population of 200. From 1974 until 1986 its population was estimated at eighty. In 1986 the community supported a few stores and rice-drying facilities. In 1990 and in 2000 the population was thirty.
Colorado County Sesquicentennial Commemorative Book (La Grange, Texas: Hengst Printing, 1986). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ken Hendrickson, "ALTAIR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hna28), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.