ARNETT, TX (HOCKLEY COUNTY)
ARNETT, TEXAS (Hockley County). Arnett is on Farm Road 1585 eight miles southeast of Levelland in south central Hockley County. It developed around the south headquarters of the Spade Ranch and was named in 1926 for ranch foreman Tom Arnett. J. C. Arnett was the first postmaster. A store, a filling station, and a gin served the community, which reached its peak in 1946 with about 100 residents. By 1950 the population had declined to fifty and by 1970 to twenty-six, where it remained in 1990. In 2000 the population dropped to ten.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "ARNETT, TX (HOCKLEY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hna42), accessed January 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.