ALLEN'S POINT, TX
ALLEN'S POINT, TEXAS. Allen's Point is on Farm Road 100 fifteen miles northeast of Bonham in eastern Fannin County. The settlement began in 1836, when its founder, Tennessean Wilson B. Allen, established a homestead near Honey Grove Creek and a crossing called Allen's Point. The success of Allen's sugarcane farm attracted other farmers to the area. Soon thereafter, the settlers organized what are believed to be the first Methodist and Baptist churches in the county. The Methodist church was built about five miles west of Allen's Point and called Allen's Chapel. Gradually a separate community developed around the Methodist church. Throughout its history, Allen's Point has served area farmers as a school and church community. Nearby Meade Springs became a tourist attraction, but its development as a health resort failed. From 1899 to 1903 a post office called Yew, probably in honor of H. C. Yew, an early settler, lodge owner, and bricklayer, operated in the community. After the closing of the post office, the town reverted to its original name. At one time a reported seven cotton gins operated nearby. The community's population, however, never exceeded 100. Though passed by the railroads and overshadowed by nearby Honey Grove, Allen's Point remained a community center for area farmers. In 1964 the Texas Agricultural Extension Service awarded Allen's Point the first place in its Rural Community contest. In 1990 and 2000 the population was seventy-six.
Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977). Floy Crandall Hodge, A History of Fannin County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "ALLEN'S POINT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hna56), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.