BALD PRAIRIE, TX
BALD PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Bald Prairie is at the intersection of Farm roads 979 and 2096, two miles east of Twin Oak Reservoir in the northeast corner of Robertson County. The community was established in 1865. Early Texas settlers considered the open prairies undesirable for farming and selected sites along the banks of creeks and streams. However, frequent attacks of "creek fever" drove the farmers to higher ground, which they soon discovered provided a healthier climate than the bottoms. The bald prairies proved to be favorable for growing cotton, corn, and livestock. Bald Prairie was a favorite gathering site for camp meetings in the 1860s. In the nineteenth century the community had several stores, churches, gins, and gristmills. A post office was established in 1875 with J. C. Jennings as postmaster. By 1885 Bald Prairie had a population of 100. The coming of the railroad to other sections of the county facilitated the growth of towns along its course, leading to the decline of Bald Prairie. In 1940 the community had one store and a post office. From 1970 to 1990 the estimated population was thirty-one; this estimate includes the surrounding area. By 2000 the population was forty. The Ross store closed in the 1960s, and in 1990 the community had two churches, a cemetery, and the abandoned store building. There is another cemetery, Wesley Chapel, one mile north of Bald Prairie. Each year a community reunion is held on the first Saturday in June at the Church of Christ.
Jewel Gibson, Joshua Beene and God (New York: Random House, 1946).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "BALD PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb04), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.