BEAUKISS, TEXAS. Beaukiss is on Middle Yegua Creek about one mile from the Lee county line in southeastern Williamson County. The settlement was founded in 1880 by Samuel M. Slaughter who was also appointed its first postmaster that year. Beaukiss was a prosperous rural community by 1884, when it had a church, a school, a gristmill, a cotton gin, and seventy-five inhabitants. The population had climbed to 100 by 1890, and in the early years of the twentieth century the community had a variety of businesses, several doctors, three fraternal organizations, a school, and a string band. The town declined to a population of seventy-five in 1920 and only two businesses in 1931. The oil boom in eastern Williamson County revived Beaukiss briefly in the 1930s, when a well came in at the nearby Abbott oilfield, but the Beaukiss school closed in 1947, and the population of the town had declined to twenty by 1949. In 1977 Beaukiss was the site of a cemetery and a church. Its population in 1990 and 2000 was twenty, according to the United States census, though the local Masonic lodge had about 80 members in 2001.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BEAUKISS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb15), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on August 10, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.